The Cupola was erected in c.1663. It is a two tier wooden construction which apart from the exposed sections of moulded wooden cornice and carved capitals, is covered in lead. Historic illustrations indicate that the entire exterior of the cupola (wood and lead) was painted white.
The exterior of the cupola is currently painted black with the carved wooden capitals picked out in a terracotta red. The application of white paint not only protected the wooden elements but provided a uniform appearance which was intended to suggest that the cupola was a stone construction.